Friday, May 1, 2009

Our progress!

This past week has been good for Sangria and I. I have only ridden her one other time but have continued to enforce our groundwork efforts. Sangria still tends to be reactive to things coming up behind her, perceived or real. I have tried everything I can think of to resolve her fears of this. Yesterday, she stood in the round pen (untied), while I spent quite a bit of time running up behind her (in her blind spot), just to pet and love on her and then leave. The first few times she wanted to skitter away, but soon she was standing quietly.

We spent quite a bit more time with desensitizing techniques while on the ground, from the rail and while on her back. I also worked on hindquarter yielding and softening of her neck and mouth when I ask her to give her head. While all of the signs point to her being calm, cool and collected, I cannot help but have doubts in the back of my mind since I truly do not know why she reacted the way that she did at the beach. Was it because I didn't warm her up? Was it because I saddled her while she was wet and cold? Was it a combination of things?

How can I be confident that if faced with that type of situation again, I won't come off? I know there has got to be more than I can do - I just don't know what it is!

After doing some of my desensitizing work, I rode Sangria (in a saddle!) while chasing the ball. For some reason, I feel the most safe riding her when I have something to concentrate on - like chasing the ball. If I just get on and try to get her to move, my mind goes crazy with worries and insecurities with each of her movements. Each tension of her neck or back, each brace against the reins just sends me into a minor panic. However, if I'm concentrating on that ball, I'm able to push her forward with leg and rein cues and not pay attention or put too much focus on her reactions. It's working really well for us both. Last night we were trotting around, pushing the ball here and there. She was very good for me, though by the end, she was pinning her ears and attempting to bite the ball. I'm not sure what that was all about!

Physically, I am feeling better each and every day. I am loving my temporary teeth and am eager for May 12th to come around, which is when I will get my final veneers and crowns. I do still have quite a bit of sensitivity in my teeth at times... sometimes it feels as though my teeth are throbbing?! My facial fractures are not bothering me at all, other than my nose when I occaisionally forget it's broken and go to rub it. Ouch! My lip is healing well, and ironically, is the most painfull part of my personal rehabilitation. But I'm almost back to normal and am thankful to be alive each and every day! Thank you again for all of your love and support!

2 comments:

  1. Sangria looks so pretty all braided up! :)

    I know when I got bucked the f*** off last week I only had myself to blame. I should have warmed up and paid attention, even though I was on my "old faithful". She's still a mare and it's spring time. I'm sure it was just a combination of the weather and not being warmed up that made Sangria do it. But I have had a lot longer to get to know my horse so I am more confident in my knowing that it was my fault and she wouldn't have done it to me "just cuz".

    You are doing great with Sangria and you get major kudos from me for getting back on her at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and I have to speak up and say I really really applaud you for getting back on. That was a horrible accident and to get back on, I really know how you feel about the whole thing.
    I just had a freak horse accident here. Almost 2 months ago. I split my head open, hit hard on my tailbone, on hard ground and rock (that's what got my head) no helmet. My 5 yr old and my hubby saw it all. Absolute accident, I just came off badly. Today is the day I get back on (not the same horse, I'm going back to my old steady). I was unconscious too, and I am missing about an hour's worth of time that I just don't remember. I got choppered out, head CT came back ok and I went home with staples. Has taken me all this time to recover.
    So all I can say is my hat's off to you for cowgirling up and getting back on. It's really hard.

    ReplyDelete