Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 2 & 3

Sunday was day 2, but I was feeling the after effects of the long drive the day before, combined with a stormy, windy, cold and snowy day... that I didn't make it out to the barn until the late afternoon. Sangria had stayed at Jenny's house until I could take her home Sunday afternoon. When I arrived to the barn, I was anticipating that Sangria may have reverted a bit and not remembered our groundwork from the day before. While I was surprised that she had retained a good amount of our exercises, she'd also become very antsy and anxious. She was pawing, whinneying and generally throwing a fit.


I was easily able to attach the lead rope to her halter and then brought her out to the barn aisle. I grabbed my flag, in case I needed to push from behind as well as guide her front end. However, she was very easy and needed little encouragement from me. I think she was just so happy to be out of the stall. She definitely didn't like being cooped up!
Once in the barn aisle, we waked to the trailer that was backed up to the barn doors. I'd already loaded my mare, Dandy, and figured I would attempt to load Sangria like a normal horse - walking her in and then tying her next to Dandy. I planned to close the center divider in my stock trailer, so that Sangria couldn't pull back against the lead rope. She loaded very well, but did get nervous when the center divider was semi-closed and I was tying her. She quieted quickly and trailered home without any issues.

When we got home, I was able to unload her from the trailer and walk the 20 feet to her paddock. It was dark and she was nervous, but her trailer buddy, Dandy, helped to guide the way.

Sangria has now settled in here at Cowgirl Spirit's headquarters. She seems fine with the idea of becoming a domesticated, useful equine. Her curiousity is adorable - she's not quite sure what to think of everyday things, such as other horse's blankets. She's continually sniffing, licking and chewing on Dandy's blanket.
She's also becoming very personable and friendly. She is wanting attention and starting to seek it out - even following me to the gate and then standing there looking over as I leave.


On Monday, I only worked with her for a short bit. We again accomplished some groundwork tasks, from sending, leading, halting, standing to asking her to walk over unfamiliar objects.

At this point in the game, Sangria does the best if you can keep her mind busy. Asking her to stand quietly at this time is overwhelming for her. She also tends to be pushy, so we need to work on respecting her handler's space right away. She's certainly not mean about it, but has no issues running into you to go where she wants to go. At least she's not scared of me!

I was very proud of her adventure outside the paddock, alone. We walked all around the property - the further away from the other horses we got, the more nervous she became. We only spent about 30 minutes playing - but it seemed like a good amount of time for her. Today I intend to work her a bit harder and push her limits a little more. She sure is a good girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment