Monday, March 16, 2009

Road Trip!

Jenny and I headed down to the Litchfield Corrals in Northern California to pick up our mustangs on Thursday night. Mapquest approximated the trip to be an 11-12 hour drive. We expected to drive through the night, pick up our girls and then turn around and head home. We pretty much stuck to our plan, but we didn't really realize just how much of a drive that really was! The scenery was beautiful, and the temperature range was dramatic, but all in all, the trip down was uneventful.


Once at the corrals, we filled out some paperwork, then went out to find our mustangs. I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw Sangria. She is exactly what I pictured when I imagined my mustang. She is over 15hh, a stocky bay with a white star and right hind sock. Her mane was a complete snarl of tangles, but looked to be full. She has soft, gentle eyes and her face is slightly dished like an Arabian. In the herd in her pen, she was quiet and curious, letting the others mill around her in their discomfort at our presence.


We took our loading tickets to the BLM Wranglers who proceeded to push our assigned mustangs into the chute to remove their neck tags and put their halters on. Sangria was quiet though nervous in the chute. She didn't react alot, but you could see that she was scared. Once her halter was on, they opened the chute and flagged her into the trailer. As soon as Jenny's mare was loaded, we quickly got on the road towards home.


Our trip home was slower than the way down. Jenny and I were exhausted and ended up stopping at a rest stop in Vancouver, WA for a quick nap. We got home at 4am Saturday morning and then unloaded the girls and put them each in a stall. It took about an hour to get them unloaded and settled, but they seemed happy to be unloaded and both quickly started eating their hay. Jenny and I went straight to sleep for a few hours before waking up to start playing with our mustangs!


I love road trips, but I think next time we won't push as hard and will stay overnight rather than drive that long straight through!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Both of the girls are so cute! I'm excited to watch how they come along! And even though your mustang was totally randomly assigned by computer, I still think you copied me! lol

    ReplyDelete