Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sangria's 1st Trail Ride & Indoor Arena

I ponied Sangria out on a 3-hour trail ride on Sunday. It was the first time I had been to this particular location - the trailhead was next to the Enumclaw transfer station, which backs up to Weyerhauser forest property. The parking was on the shoulder next to the busy dump facility, so Sangria was exposed to all types of noises & movements. She started out pretty nervous and fidgety but quickly realized there was nothing to be worried about.

I saddled her up, then mounted up on my mare, Dandy. Dandy was feeling a bit fresh and I needed to warm her up before attempting to pony Sangria. It probably wasn't the smartest idea to introduce ponying in this environment, but luckily Sangria was level headed and willing. It only took a few steps for her to realize that I was leading her and then she settled in with her nose at my knee. Good girl!

The trails were narrow and rocky in places, with plenty of steep inclines and switch backs. I think we climbed over a 1,000 feet in elevation, which for poor Sangria, had her huffing and puffing in no time. She is very sure footed and pays attention to where she's going, though didn't quite realize that the saddle sticks out a bit more than her body. She ended up rubbing it against the trees quite a bit, causing me to wince. My poor saddle!


Jenny had also brought her EMM mustang, MissFire, and ponied her from her gelding, Skippy. It was a great experience! We rode up to a huge waterfall before turning back. MissFire seemed to do a bit better out on the trails than Sangria did. Sangria was continually worried about anyone who was behind her, doing anything she had to to turn around and see who was there, including running over or through my mare and I. We had a few stern discussions about it before she realized that I was scarier than what was behind her and to maintain a proper distance between us as we picked our way down the steep mountain trail.

I also had Jenny's husband, Cody, pony her a bit, since he was riding the 'scary horse'. While he ponied her, I rode up next to Sangria and played with her saddle, putting weight in the stirrup, rubbing her hindquarters and anything I could do that I might have done if I were riding her. She was really good!

When we were done with the trail ride, I took a quick break before heading to drill team practice. I was more than half way to the arena, so it made sense to just keep Sangria with me rather than drive extra miles and take her home. Once I got to the arena, I decided to saddle Sangria up again and pony her inside the busy indoor arena. There were probably 10 or so other riders in there, making for a hectic atmosphere.

Sangria did well, even though I was on a different horse who doesn't pony well. We simply walked around or stood in the center of the arena watching horse and riders move around us. After about a half hour of this, I asked Jenny to do some mounting exercises. So far, I have been the only one to step into the stirrup with Sangria and figured she'd be fine with Jenny doing it.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I held Sangria from atop my horse, while Jenny reassured her and stepped up. Sangria immediately lurched forward and threw Jenny. We did this a few times until Sangria tolerated it. However, she was never ok with it, which had me completely confused. She was really, really good when I had done these exercises.

Was she now having an issue because we were in the busy arena? Was it a claustraphobic thing, with me holding her from another horse? Was it Jenny? What could it be? So, Jenny and I switched, she took my gelding and started warming him up, leaving Sangria and I to work together. I went ahead and did the same mounting exercises as before and she was fine. She stood perfectly still with no nervousness as the horses moved around her. I must have sat on her for a few minutes each time.

So, I still don't really get it - why she reacted the way that she did. Maybe it was all just too much, the combination of new events. I will be working with her to make sure she can accept other people working with her as well! I think this is certainly important for her successful future!

On a good note, yesterday was Sangria's second day in the pasture - only this time without a halter! She let one of our members halter her and bring her in, just like a normal horse! What a good girl! Tomorrow, the farrier is coming and we are going to attempt to trim her feet! Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. I think it was Bsnner. She was fine until you pushed her hips over. When Banner didn't stop to comfort her thats when she got scared. For the record that was the softest landing ever!!You ready to get on MissFire tomorrow??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing! As long as you are on Skippy, I'll do the mounting stuff on MissFire! We'll have to make sure someone is there with a video camera! :) This is going to be fun! And yeah, Banner probably wasn't the best choice for that exercise. He's such a twit!

    ReplyDelete